Luke Henry Hepting has arrived!

Kristina: As many of you know, our precious little boy is finally here! We are so in love with him and are enjoying every minute together!

It all started last Friday when I started having painful contractions that were between 3 and 5 minutes apart so off to the hospital we went around 8:00 p.m. They admitted us and set us up for monitoring and we found out that I was only experiencing "early labor". Had I not been 41 weeks pregnant and scheduled for induction that same weekend, they would've sent us home. We're thankful they kept us there but it was a longggg night! The room we were in at first was SO small and uncomfortable. At 2 a.m. they started me on Pitocin. It was impossible to sleep during my contractions and poor Jeff was sleeping in a chair! At 7 a.m. they took us to the delivery room and I finally got the long awaited epidural. Surprisingly, it wasn't so bad. My doctor came in at 8 a.m. to break my bag of water only to discover that I hadn't progressed in my dilation and my cervix was still high. So they increased the Pitocin dosage and she came back at noon to try and break my water again. Noon came and she discovered, once again, that there had been no changes. I LOVE my doctor and totally respect her in every way so when she suggested we consider having a c-section, I trusted her. She felt that either I had a small pelvis or the baby was going to be big and for one of those two reasons, he was not preparing himself to come through the birth canal. When we found out that we could have the c-section an hour from then and that we'd be holding our little baby shortly thereafter, it seemed to be the right choice. There was no way of knowing how much longer the Pitocin would take and it had been such a long night already... I was exhausted and so was Jeff. Soooo, in we went & out we came with our little 9 pound 8 ounce 21 and 3/4 inch long bundle of joy!! He was born at 2:36 p.m. on October 18th.

We came home on Tuesday and it's been a great week. The recovery process for me started out pretty rough but one look at Luke reminds me that it's all worth it (percocet seems to help too!). Jeff has been amazing this week and has really taken to his role as "daddy". He's been very hands on with Luke and so helpful with me since I've needed some help getting up and around too ... I don't know what I would do without him. It's been so special already in many ways and I'm just so grateful that God has given us this beautiful gift ...

So yes there are, I'm sure, sleepless nights ahead and other challenges as well but we are doing our best to learn together and embrace each moment. We look forward to keeping you updated on little Luke and the many ways he keeps us smiling!



April in real life said...

Hey Guys! Mom & Dad are here visiting and we are all so excited for you guys... Luke is sooo cute!!! We have been praying for you and are sorry you had a rough start but hopefully smooth sailing from here out!
I so wish I could be there to help out and love on that baby!!! (and you guys too of course) =)
Mom said to tell you to please keep emailing Karin pics too so they can see them!

Love from us all! (April, Randy, Ruth, Gary & the little guy!)

Steph said...

he just way too precious!!! Congrats!